Sunday, November 30, 2008


Today I made 16 pie crusts. I put 14 in the freezer and 2 in the refrigerator. I will fill the 2 later.
I had to use a very large roster pan to mix it all in. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the shortening mixed into the flour and salt. I was going to take photo's of the process but I put my cheep camera some place where it would not get lost and now I can't find it maybe next time. If I find the camera I will try not to hide it from myself again.
For me it is better to have pie crusts ready or I never make pies. So I would rather spend a few hours making crusts then I have them ready when I feel like making a pie.
Here is the recipe

Freezer Pie Crust makes 16
3 lbs. Shortening
5 lbs or 20 cups Flour
2 Table spoons Salt
3 Cups Ice water

In a very very large bowl mix flour, salt, and shortening together with your hands until all the shortening is mixed into the flour and it resembles very small peas. Add Ice water and mix well. Form into balls then flatten them so it is easy to roll out ounce defrosted.
Wrap individually in waxed or freezer paper and put in large freezer bags.
When ready to make a pie take out of freezer and defrost and roll out.

Flash Back

My Mom and I maybe 1948?
Never underestimate how much you might mean to others!

No comments: